Connect with us

Entertainment

Blues Singer Lady A Countersues Country Band Lady A For Trademark Infringement

Published

on

The saga of Lady A vs. Lady Antebellum continues: As Rolling Stone reports, Lady A, the Seattle blues singer born Anita White, countersued Nashville pop-country band Lady A — fka Lady Antebellum — this evening in US District Court. The suit is a response to the band’s lawsuit this past summer claiming trademark infringement against White, who has been performing as Lady A for the past two decades.

Lady Antebellum changed their name to Lady A in June during the racial reckoning that followed George Floyd’s killing at the hands of Minneapolis police. Upon learning of White’s existence, they played nice for a while but brought out the legal guns when it became clear she had no intention of relinquishing the Lady A name for anything short of $10 million.

In her new suit claiming trademark infringement and unfair competition, White argues that she has “nationwide common law rights in the trademark LADY A in connection with music and entertainment services in the nature of musical performances.” It further asserts that White’s stake in the name predates “any rights in the LADY A mark allegedly owned by Lady Antebellum,” suggesting that the band’s name change has resulted in “lost sales, diminished brand identity, and diminution in the value of and goodwill associated with the mark.”

The effect of the name change on Ms. White’s ability to distinguish her music in the marketplace was overwhelming,” the suit says. “Internet and social media searches for ‘Lady A,’ which had readily returned results for her music, were now dominated by references to Lady Antebellum. Ms. White’s LADY A brand had been usurped and set on the path to erasure.”

Entertainment

Jessica Mulroney Addresses Rumors About Her Friendship with Meghan Markle

Published

on

By

After a summer of speculation and a two-month social media hiatus, Jessica Mulroney is back on Instagram and tackling rumors about the status of her and Meghan Markle‘s friendship head-on.

In a since-deleted Instagram Story posted to her account on Friday, according to People, Mulroney wrote, “I’m going to tell this once and for all. Meghan and I are family. She is the kindest friend and has checked up on me everyday. Tabloid culture is atrocious. It creates lies and hurtful storyline. Stop feeding into it. Done.”

This clarification appears to be a direct response to articles dating back to June suggesting that the pair’s friendship was on the rocks after Canadian lifestyle blogger Sasha Exeter posted a lengthy Instagram video calling Mulroney out for “textbook white privilege.” A source told Page Six at the time, “I don’t know what the tipping point was, but Jess has been on the outs for some time. Their friendship is definitely not what it was. And really, how can you have such a close friendship when one person is basically making a career out of the friendship?”

This isn’t the first time the celebrity stylist has addressed these rumors about her relationship with the Duchess of Sussex either. Earlier this month, she explained on her Instagram Stories why she had deleted a photo of her son and Markle on her wedding day. “People often ask why I delete certain posts. The amount of bullying and hatred I’ve had to put up with for 3 years….I’m tired of looking at it,” Mulroney wrote. “Be kind. Be gracious. We are grown ups…stop acting like teenagers. Real women don’t put down other women.”

More Great Stories From Vanity Fair

— Jesmyn Ward Writes Through Grief Amid Protests and Pandemic
— Melania Trump’s Clothes Really Don’t Care, and Neither Should You
— How Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Paid Off the Frogmore Cottage Renovations
— Poetry: COVID-19 and Racism Collide in Mississippi
— 11 of Fall’s Best Coffee-Table Books
— Is This the End of In-Person Awards Shows?
— From the Archive: The Precarious Future of Stately Aristocratic Homes

Looking for more? Sign up for our daily newsletter and never miss a story.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Extra: NZ’s MediaWorks sells TV business to Discovery; Sales for ZDFE, Hat Trick Intl.

Published

on

By

Discovery acquires MediaWorks TV

Discovery has inked a deal to acquire MediaWorks TV, the free-to-air television business owned by New Zealand commercial broadcaster MediaWorks.

The transaction is expected to close by the end of the year.

The MediaWorks TV acquisition marks Discovery’s most significant free-to-air investment in the New Zealand market to date, and includes entertainment channels Three and Bravo, streaming service ThreeNow, and multi-platform news and current affairs service Newshub, as well as the further channels Three+1, Bravo+1, The Edge TV and The Breeze TV.

Discovery currently operates a portfolio of six pay-TV channels in the New Zealand market, including Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Food Network, Living and Discovery Turbo, as well as free-to-air channels HGTV and Choice TV.

As part of the deal, Glen Kyne has been appointed general manager of TV, a role that will continue under Discovery once the transaction closes.

Discovery’s Australia and New Zealand operations will move under Simon Robinson, president of APAC. Following completion of the sale, Kyne will report to Robinson.

Gareth Codd has been appointed acting commercial director for MediaWorks Group in the interim.

Rebecca Kent, GM of Discovery Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands, will continue to oversee the New Zealand pay-TV portfolio and free-to-air channels Choice and HGTV, and the Australia operations.

ZDF Enterprises orders, pre-sells WW2 series

ZDF Enterprises has commissioned the WW2 history series Frontlines from UK indie Impossible Factual.

Prior to completion, the series (pictured) has been sold to Viasat World for Central and Eastern Europe, Russia and CIS, Foxtel in Australia and iPrima (Czech Republic).

The 8 x 50-minute series, to be distributed globally by ZDF, focuses on eight battlefields on the frontlines of the war: Midway, Anzio, Monte Cassino, Omaha, Hill 112, Bastogne, Iwo Jima and Berlin.

Frontlines includes first person testimony, location demonstrations, analysis and storytelling to bring the frontlines to life.

Hat Trick Int’l sells Dinner Date abroad

Indie distributor Hat Trick International has signed deals for the long-running factual entertainment series Dinner Date in South Africa, Australia, Finland and France.

Produced by Hat Trick Productions, the format is now in its 10th series on ITVBe in the UK.

A second season of the show is currently being produced by Seapoint for ZDF in Germany, with COVID-19 health and safety protocols in place. This new season will bring the total number of episodes commissioned in Germany to 60.

The finished program has sold globally to SBS Australia, Roku North America, Discovery Benelux, BBC Lifestyle in Poland and Africa, TVNZ New Zealand and Sky Italia Italy, across all media platforms.

In each episode of Dinner Date, someone is given the chance to find true love over three meals.

A participant will choose three menus from five, put together by five mystery hosts. They then go on the three dates with the “chefs,” who cook them a meal in their own homes. After the dates, all three chefs prepare for a night out at a restaurant, but the participant can only choose one to go with – leaving the other two to have a night in alone with a ready-made meal.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Is The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon new tonight, September 16?

Published

on

By

Fubo TV. Sign up now for a free seven-day trial. You can also watch on the NBC website or app.

Who are you most excited to see on The Tonight Show? Let us know in the comment section below.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 NewsLagoon | All Content Rights Reserved.