Gamers are still reflecting on the sprawling story woven by The Last Of Us Part II, which hit the PS4 earlier this summer to much fanfare, but HBO has its own apocalyptic story in the works based on the Naughty Dog classic. And according to the showrunner, it will be even more expansive than the story told in the first game.
For some fans, HBO picking up The Last Of Us as a TV show sounds almost too good to be true. With Naughty Dog creative director Neil Druckmann writing and serving as executive producer, Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin in the same role also gives the prestige TV vehicle some serious experience in a dreary and compelling world.
There are a lot of questions about making the video game that’s more like a Peak TV show into just that, and we won’t know the result until we see it for ourselves. But Mazin did give some clues about what to expect when The Last Of Us finally happens for HBO. In an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live, Mazin said the show will “expand” on the plot of the first game, but it won’t “undo” anything that happened in the game itself.
“I think the one anxiety that fans of something have is when the property gets licensed to someone else, those people don’t really understand it, or are going to change it, or make it stupid,” Mazin said, via Den Of Geek. “In this case, I’m doing it with the guy who did it, and so the changes that we’re making are designed to fill things out and expand, not to undo, but rather to enhance.”
One of the obvious benefits about adapting The Last Of Us is getting to work with the one person who has had control over the series from the beginning. Mazin didn’t spoil anything from the original game, but one thing he noted was that, with the TV show, they would be able to include some things the game’s creators couldn’t manage to include, whether because it didn’t fit thematically or simply couldn’t be finished to their satisfaction due to the infamous crunch that comes with meeting deadlines for titles at Naughty Dog and the gaming industry at large. With a TV show and more time to make it happen, the show will inevitably see some different things brought to life:
“Neil, at one point, he’s like, ‘You know, there was one thing we were talking about for a while,’ and then he told me what it was. I was like, ‘Well, that’s going in. You couldn’t stop me from doing that.’ So we’re doing that,” Mazin said. “And there’s quite a few things like that where it’s not like, ‘Oh, we just decided, oh, wouldn’t it be cool if there was one episode where Joel and Ellie get on motorcycles and confront a motorcycle gang?’ That’s not what we do. There’s no episodic nonsense here. This is all pretty much curated. The things that are new and enhancing of the storyline we’re doing are connected in organic, serious ways that fans and newcomers alike will appreciate.”
Video games are a living art of sorts, and part of the experience of The Last Of Us was experiencing the game through its main two characters. Mazin said they don’t quite have an answer to that narratively, and he said that the experience of watching it all as a TV show will be very different. The interview is fascinating, and it seems like he and Druckmann are truly excited about the project. There are certainly a lot of gamers who are there with them.
(Via Den of Geek)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Finally Bought a House
Over the last year, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have lived in multiple homes in three different countries, ranging from Frogmore Cottage—the Windsor home they received as a gift from Queen Elizabeth—to a luxurious waterfront home on Vancouver Island in Canada. But according to Page Six, they’re finally putting down roots in the United States, five months after moving due to the coronavirus pandemic.
On Wednesday, the outlet reported that the couple bought a home in Santa Barbara, an hour and a half northwest of downtown Los Angeles, and have been living there since July. “It has been a very special time for them as a couple and as a family—to have complete privacy for six weeks since they moved in,” a source said. “They intend to put down their roots in this house and the quiet community, which has considerable privacy. This is where they want to bring Archie up, where they hope he can have as normal a life as possible.” Meghan and Harry’s spokesperson confirmed the move to the outlet.
The source didn’t reveal any details about the house or what the first-time homebuyers paid, but said they were planning to stay for a while. “They have thought about this carefully and researched it well. This is the place where they plan to be happy, make good friends and bring up Archie, giving him the chance to play with other children his age.”
It does mean that they’re forgoing the palatial and distinctive mansion that they borrowed from Tyler Perry, but Page Six’s source said that it’s for the better. “While it was a nice favor to them at a very difficult time, Tyler Perry’s house with 18 bedrooms isn’t Harry’s style,” they said. “Yes, he grew up in royalty and the halls of Buckingham Palace, but he prefers more intimate homes with character.” The source added that they were already in the process of buying the home when they filed a lawsuit against paparazzi for photographing them on Perry’s property.
Even before the couple announced their plans to leave the royal family, they were looking at properties in the Los Angeles area. Last September, sources told Vanity Fair that they were trying to buy in Calabasas, but by February, Caitlyn Jenner claimed she heard rumors that their hunt had moved to Malibu.
More Great Stories From Vanity Fair
— Did Billionaire Tobacco Heiress Doris Duke Get Away With Murder?
— The Porn Industry’s Biggest Scandal—And Mystery
— After a Year in Hiding, Ghislaine Maxwell Finally Faces Justice
— Inside the Other Harry and Meghan Book by Longtime Royal Irritant Lady Colin Campbell
— From Tyga to Charli D’Amelio, TikTok Stars Are Having a Blast (at Home)
— The 21 Best Books for Tolerating 2020 (So Far)
— From the Archive: The Mystery of Doris Duke’s Final Years
Looking for more? Sign up for our daily newsletter and never miss a story.
‘The Crown’ Casts Jonathan Pryce as Prince Philip
The Crown has a new Prince Philip. Game of Thrones actor and Oscar nominee Jonathan Pryce is set to appear in both Seasons 5 and 6 as Queen Elizabeth’s husband, Variety reports.
The actor is taking over the role from Tobias Menzies, who played the prince in Season 3 and Season 4, which is set to premiere on Netflix later this year. Matt Smith previously held the role in Seasons 1 and 2. When Pryce joins The Crown for Season 5, he will be accompanied by Imelda Staunton, the series’ next Queen Elizabeth, and Lesley Manville, Season 5’s Princess Margaret.
Pryce earned an Oscar nomination this year for his role in The Two Popes, playing Pope Francis alongside Anthony Hopkins‘ Pope Benedict. He’s also appeared in Glengarry Glen Ross and Tomorrow Never Dies, and more recently played High Sparrow on Game of Thrones.
While the fourth upcoming season of The Crown is due later in 2020, fans will have to wait a while to see Pryce in his Season 5 role. The show is taking a filming break — pre-planned and unrelated to the coronavirus pandemic — and won’t be back for its fifth season until 2022, since Netflix won’t being filming until June of next year.
Creator Peter Morgan originally said that Season 5 would be the final installment of The Crown, but he pleased fans when he revealed last month that the show would continue for Season 6, which will be its last season.
“As we started to discuss the storylines for Series 5, it soon became clear that in order to do justice to the richness and complexity of the story we should go back to the original plan and do six seasons,” he said at the time. “To be clear, Series 6 will not bring us any closer to present-day – it will simply enable us to cover the same period in greater detail.”
Stream The Crown on Netflix
Captain Marvel 2’s Nia DaCosta Responds To Mulan Skipping Its Theatrical Run
Either way, it’s yet to be seen if Mulan skipping a theatrical release will end up as a mistake. Arguably, the move could see pushback from audiences and also lose out on box office numbers. On the other hand, fans eager to see a movie of its scope might flock to see it regardless of the Disney+ subscription and additional $30 price, making it a big hit and reaching an even larger audience than if it were in the theaters. Mulan is scheduled to release September 4 on Disney+.
- Entertainment3 days ago
Love Alarm Season 2: Release Date, Cast, Plot, And Everything You Should Know !!
- Entertainment India2 days ago
Ishq Mein Marjawan 2 11th August 2020 Written Episode Written Update
- Entertainment3 days ago
Sex Education Season 3: Release Date and Some Expection Here
- Entertainment4 days ago
Are Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott Dating Again After a Romantic Getaway?
- Entertainment1 day ago
Amber Heard admits she punched Johnny Depp to defend sister, fans hope she’s finally fired from ‘Aquaman 2’
- Entertainment3 days ago
The Vampire Diaries Season 9? Maker’s Plans Revealed And Click To Know More.
- Entertainment India3 days ago
Song Hye Kyo reveals her thoughts about love and friendship after her agency debunked Hyun Bin dating rumours
- Entertainment2 days ago
The Haunting Of Hill House Season 2 Release Date, Cast, Plot And Trailer