Connect with us

Entertainment

SC gives protection to Punjab’s ex-DGP Saini from arrest, in Multani murder case

Published

on

On Tuesday, The supreme court granted temporary protection to former DGP Sumedh Singh Saini from arrest in the 1991 Balwant Singh Multani murder case.

A three-judge Bench led by Justice Ashok Bhushan said, ” This is a case of 1991. After 30 years, what is the hurry to arrest him… We will grant Saini time to file a reply.” He added that he would not be arrested till further orders.

However, the highest justice asked Saini to co-operate with Punjab police in the investigation.

Saini challenges High Court order

On September 7, Punjab and Haryana High court dismissed his plea for an anticipatory bail in the Multani kidnapping and murder case. And he challenged this Punjab and High court order in the supreme court.

The court issued a notice to the Punjab government asking for a response to the Saini’s Anticipatory bail in the case within three weeks. And it gave Saini one week’s time to file his reply.

The case is likely to have further hearings after four weeks.

What happened with Multani?

Multani, a junior engineer with Chandigarh Industrial and Tourism Corporation, was allegedly kidnapped by the police in December 1991 after suspected in a terror attack in which three policemen got killed. Saini was also got injured in the attack.

Saini’s problem started this May when he was called in a police station in Mohali with six others for the alleged kidnapping and murder of Multani in the year 1991. The murder charges were added in August month when two of the accused policeman spilled the information during the investigation.

Multani murder case

Arguments inside the Court

On the behalf of Saini, Mukul Rastogi, a senior advocate submitted that it was a serious matter of reputed policemen being bothered.

Rastogi told the court, “This is a very serious matter. He is a decorated officer… A dedicated and hardworking officer who suffered bullet and injuries.”

Rastogi further told, “I (Saini) was then SSP when I was Targeted by the terrorists. Multani was a proclaimed offender in the case.”

He further added that the state government is after him because he filed two charge sheets in which Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh was an accused.

Narrating the sequence of events since 1991, The advocate said that the FIR against Saini has been filed mala fide manner

On the behalf of Punjab, senior advocate, Siddharth Luthra said to counter the arguments given by Rastogi that The High court had noticed that Saini used to frightened others. The high court also noticed that the victim had surrendered to death because of his injuries after Saini treated him very badly.

Saini is also facing a trial in CBI court in Delhi for the alleged kidnapping of automobile businessman Vinod Kumar, his brother-in-law Ashok Kumar and their driver Mukhtiyar Singh along with three others.

 

Also read: Now Siya Kakkar 16-year-old TikTok star commits suicide After Sushant Singh Rajput!!

Entertainment

Tamron Hall DESTROYS Claim She ‘Ambushed’ Stassi Schroeder In ‘Awkward’ Interview

Published

on

By

If there’s one thing becoming clear through the Vanderpump Rules drama, it’s that Stassi Schroeder can’t help but dig her heels in.

The former reality star sat down for an interview with Tamron Hall last week — her first since being fired from the show — and while she admitted to being a “Karen,” she basically didn’t really technically apologize for anything. Often she seemed more like she still was trying to defend her actions, including calling the police on a Black co-worker.

This was unsurprisingly NOT a good look for Stassi, and word from her camp was that she felt “unprepared” for the “awkward” interview. The Us Weekly source even went so far as to blame Hall, saying she “went rogue” with her questions.

Related: Kristen Doute Claims She Never Called The Police On Faith Stowers!

On Tuesday’s episode of The Tamron Hall Show, the host hit back at these accusations right there on the air. She told her audience:

“The other day I was told that there was a report that Stassi felt ‘unprepared’ and that it was ‘awkward.’ Even that I had gone rogue — whatever that means. Let me just be open because I’m expecting everybody who’s participating in this show today, I want them to be open, so I have to do the same. It’s why I wanted this show to be honest with you.”

Hall continued:

“So I’m going to take you behind the scenes of TV. Now, I don’t tell people the specific questions I’m going to ask them. How they answer, that’s up to them. But the topic and everything that we discussed, Stassi knew. She knew the subject matter. She knew what I was going to ask her. Not the questions.”

This is pretty standard for most television interviews, but it’s especially true for Stassi. After all, why else would she even be doing an interview if not to talk about her firing and the circumstances around it? She had months to prepare for how she would address the issue and answer for her problematic behavior. If she can’t handle that — especially with the help of a crisis management team coaching her through it! — it’s on her, not Tamron.

Related: Lauren Conrad Admits She Cut The Hills Cast From Her Life For THIS Reason!

(And do we even need to point out how messed up it is to accuse a Black female journalist of making a privileged white reality star look bad on the topic of race with an “ambush”?)

The former Today show co-anchor even agreed to keep Stassi’s past controversial #MeToo comments off the table at the request of the 32-year-old’s team, making things even easier for her. Hall explained:

“It hit me to my gut that I didn’t ask her. But again, I want to be honest with you. Given that she was five months pregnant, the issue of race was hard enough for her and for me and it was a lot to unpack, including that Nazi comment, so I said we were not going to go down that road but we would have this difficult conversation that we all should have to provide a better platform for our children.”

Well said!

We don’t totally lack empathy for Stassi. Her world’s been turned upside down, but it was due to her own actions, and she needs to take responsibility for that. If she was really working at becoming the “best version of herself,” she could just take the L of a bad interview and try to do better next time. Instead, it really seems like she hasn’t learned anything at all.

[Image via Tamron Hall/YouTube]

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘Bad Boys For Life’ directors to showcase Netflix series ‘Soil’ at ReConnext | News

Published

on

By

The first footage from Netflix drama Soil, directed by Bad Boys For Life duo Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, is to be presented at Re>Connext, the annual film and TV showcase run by Flanders Image.

It is one of 26 upcoming television projects selected for the event, which serves as an export platform for film and TV drama made in Flanders and will run online from October 5-31. The physical showcase has been cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Scroll down for full list of projects

Soil, which will also be directed by Mathieu Mortelmans whose credits include Unit 42, will be presented as a works in progress and is about a young man who decides to import soil from Morocco, in which Muslims in Belgium can be buried, with unexpected consequences.

Shooting on the eight-part series has recently taken place in Belgium under Covid-safe conditions and is produced by Gent-based outfit Lumière after being commissioned by VIER (SBS), in collaboration with Netflix and Telenet.

In total, Re>Connext will present 26 fiction and documentary series including nine project pitches, nine works in progress and eight screenings.

Further drama series set to be pitched include Sylvia Kristel, a six-part biopic about the Dutch actress and Emmanuelle star, directed by Michael R. Roskam, the filmmaker behind the Oscar-nominated Bullhead and Tom Hardy drama The Drop.

Kaat Beels and Nathalie Basteyns, the directors of hit Netflix supernatural thriller series Beau Sejour, will pitch new drama Lost Luggage. The series is set in the wake of the Brussels Airport terrorist attack of March 2016 and follows a policewoman given the job of returning the suitcases left behind to the victims and their families.

Wouter Bouvijn, director of hit drama The Twelve, is to pitch TV series 1985, based around the unsolved case of the Crazy Brabant Killers, a gang that murdered 28 people in a series of raids during the early 1980s.

Bouvijn’s latest series, Red Light, which is co-directed by Anke Blondé and stars Carice van Houten  will be screened during Re>Connext. The drama follows three women who become entangled in the world of human trafficking, prostitution and crime.

On the documentary front, Kat Steppe’s six-part series about the future of The Vatican will be presented as a works in progress, after winning the best pitch award at CONNEXT in 2019.

Also pitched at Re>Connext will be Capturing the Pirate King, a documentary series from award-winning director Lennart Stuyck (What About Eric?) – the unlikely tale of two Somali pirates who were apprehended by the Belgian police. Four years later, one of them is convicted as a “pirate king” while the one is running for Somali president from his home in the US.

The platform usually place over three days under the banner Connext but has been extended to a month for the virtual edition.

As previously announced, the platform will also feature 47 film projects – nearly double the number of films usually presented at the event – including a new drama from Cannes award-winner Lukas Dhont (Girl) and a film produced in lockdown by Milo Rau.

Registered industry professionals will be granted on-demand access to new project pitches, presentations of works in progress, and screenings of recent, new and upcoming titles.

Last year’s Connext reported a record number of 300 participants including festival reps from Cannes, Berlin and Toronto alongside sales agents, distributors, broadcasters and producers.

Flanders Image previously stated that it still hopes to host the fifth edition of Connext in Antwerp, Belgium from October 3-5, 2021.

Re>Connext 2020 TV titles

Project Pitches

  • 1985, dir. Wouter Bouvijn (Eyeworks Film & TV Drama)
  • Arcadia, dir. Tim Oliehoek (jonnydepony BV)
  • The Twelve (season 2) (Eyeworks Film & TV Drama)
  • The Swimmer (Lunanime)
  • Fifty/Fifty, dir. Gijs Polspoel (Caviar)
  • Sylvia Kristel, dir. Michael R. Roskam (Savage Film)
  • Undercover (Season 3), dir. Joël Vanhoebrouck (De Mensen)
  • Lost Luggage, dirs. Kaat Beels, Nathalie Basteyns (De Mensen)

Documentary

  • Capturing the Pirate King, dir. Lennart Stuyck (Diplodokus)

Works in Progress

  • 3Hz, dir. Sander Brants (De Mensen)
  • Beau Séjour (Season 2), dirs. Kaat Beels, Nathalie Basteyns (De Mensen)
  • F*** You Very, Very Much, dirs. Bert Scholiers, Jonas Govaerts (Caviar)
  • Soil, dirs. Adil El Arbi, Billal Fallah, Mathieu Mortelmans (Lunanime)

Documentary

  • Borderline, dirs. Annabel Verbeke, Isabella Rinaldi, Anna Savchenko, Vytautas Puidokas, Tiha Gudac, Georg Götmark (Off World)
  • Draw for Change!, showrunners: Vincent Coen & Guillaume Vandenberghe / dirs.. Laura Nix, Kim Longinotto, Karen Vazquez Gaudarrama, Arya Roth, Anna Moiseenko, Nada Riyadh (Clin d’oeil Films)
  • The Vatican, dir. Kat Steppe (Panenka NV)
  • In Our Nature, dir. Serge Leurs (Hotel Hungaria)
  • XX, dirs. Zaïde Bil, Ischa Clissen, Heleen Declercq, Sam Peeters (Cassette for Timescapes)

Screenings

  • Albatros, dir. Wannes Destoop (De Wereldvrede)
  • Blackout, dir. Joël Vanhoebrouck (jonnydepony BV)
  • The Bank Hacker, dirs. Frank Van Mechelen, Joost Wynant (De Mensen)
  • A Good Year, dir. Kadir Ferati Balci (Mockingbird)
  • Hoodie, dirs. Anthony Nti, Olympia Allaert, Senne Dehandschutter (Hotel Hungaria)
  • Red Light, dirs. Wouter Bouvijn, Anke Blondé (Eyeworks Film & TV Drama)
  • Undercover (Season 2), dir. Pieter Van Hees, Cecilia Verheyden (De Mensen)

Documentary

  • The Indecent, dir. Luc Lemaitre (Panenka NV)
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Succession Wins Best Drama At the 2020 Emmys

Published

on

By

And the final award of the night goes to Succession.

The HBO drama just won the 2020 Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series and creator Jesse Armstrong marked the occasion with one of the most unusual speeches any major award show has ever seen. This year’s Emmys also happened to be the most unusual award show that award shows have ever seen, so it worked extremely well!

Basically, instead of thanking people for the show’s incredible win, Armstrong chose to un-thank them, and he did not hold back. 

“This is a wonderful achievement for the whole group, but for being robbed of the opportunity to spend this time with our peers and with the cast and crew, I think maybe I’d like to do a couple of un-thank yous,” he said. “Un-thank you to the virus for keeping us all apart this year. Un-thank you to President Trump for his crummy and uncoordinated response. Un-thank you to Boris Johnson and his government for doing the same in my country. Un-thank you to all the nationalist governments in the world who are exactly the opposite of what we need right now, and un-thank you for the media moguls who do so much to keep them in power. So, un-thank you!” 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 NewsLagoon | All Content Rights Reserved.